Why I Will Probably Never Buy Another Mac

This piece hits the nail on the head - it's all true. Firsthand I've waded through many a techy article's comments and seen how they denigrate into a increasingly shrill and hysterical PC vs Mac slagging match. Over and over again.

Why I Will Probably Never Buy Another Mac - OSNews.com

I remember one involving the infamous one button mouse. The pro 'arguments' ranged from 'having two buttons is confusing for new users' (then god knows how such a person would cope with a keyboard - with all it's buttons) to Mac software being 'so especially well written you didn't really need it' to 'there's nothing wrong with using the modifying key on the keyboard or clicking and holding' and when the subject of wheel mice and scrolling was introduced - it was suggested that all one had to do was buy and plug in an ordinary mouse and it would work... it wouldn't look as good of course. Not least because if any third party had made one to match the pretty Mac ones - Apple would've sued them for every last penny. A few short weeks later the 'mighty mouse' was introduced and the defensiveness over the one button mouse issue quietly went away - with no fanboy ever having to admit Apple had made a bit of a boo-boo sticking to their guns on that one.

And just before any Apple fan - starts weighing in... let me state I'd quite like to have a Mac Mini. I just need someone to buy me one. So buy me one.

No comments: