I forgot to add...

what with regard to the Hollywood War of the Worlds films, the George Pal one and the more recent Spielberg version (which I haven't got around to seeing yet - thanks to my allergy to Tom Cruise), and the aforementioned TV series -- what I don't understand is why anyone hasn't ever made a true-to-the-original-novel adaptation and set it in period England. We in the UK are usually falling over ourselves to make period pieces. And these days with the growing interest in steam-punk it could be quite an awesome thing.

I wonder if it's because Paramount bought up all the rights to the book or something?

1st Update: I read 5 minutes later that that's exactly what happened. Back in the 1930s H G Wells sold the rights to Paramount in perpetuity. Tsk. To think there might even have been a 'War of the Worlds' film directed by Alfred Hitchcock - or even by Orson Welles.

2nd Update: Oh. Someone called Timothy Hines did make a period version in 2005. Apparently it wasn't much good. *sigh*

No comments: