Doctor Who to meet Agatha Christie

Oh hello. The Doctor meeting another famous writer for the next season. This after meeting Charles Dickens, then Shakespeare. This makes me wonder if this is going to turn out to be a series - if so he's got to meet Arthur Conan Doyle at some point. Then who else? William Blake maybe? Mary Shelley? Bram Stoker? Jules Verne? I seem to dimly remember he's already met a young H. G. Wells - in a rather rubbishy story (and it seems wrong that they should have written that H G Wells was inspired to write the Time Machine story after meeting the Doctor - when in real life it was the Doctor Who character which was *so* inspired by that novel. Hurmmphf.)

I'm still worrying about Catherine Tate being a full time companion - I re-watched the Christmas special when it was repeated not so long ago and wasn't so impressed by her acting really. When I originally saw the whole Xmas show for the first time I treated it as a piece of fun over-the-top pantomime and just let it all wash over me and enjoyed it immensely as a piece of light hearted fluff. (Especially the spectacle of seeing the TARDIS spinning down the highway in *that* high speed car chase - that was utterly marvelous.) The trouble is - it doesn't bear too much scrutiny - because it quickly starts falling apart. (Like hello? Who wears spats in this day and age? Can you even buy spats?) Tate is so famous now for her various comedy personas I'm fretting whether she's going to be able to show as much depth as the show now demands. Seriously, there's been so much variety shown in the various episodes over the past three seasons which will be massively spoilt if Catherine isn't up to the task. Fingers are crossed. (Please be good. Please be good. Oh please be very, very good. Oh Catherine - please confound my expectations with your unseen talents.)

I'm having to trust the creative staff on this one. sort of. Maybe. Um. Speaking as someone who was never as taken with Martha as the rest of the on-line outspoken Doctor Who fans seemed to be. (Stupid Billie Piper for not wanting to stay for just one more season. Gah. But then - that did mean we were spared the sight of Rose traveling the face of the planet Earth telling everyone she met about the Doctor. Or then - just maybe that would've been totally awesome?)

Who am I kidding though? I can't wait until next year - and this might prove to be a *big one* - in that it might be the last year of Russell T Davis producing the show. If that's true - it's also very likely to see Tennant handing in his key to the TARDIS and a brand new Doctor taking over...

Oh I can't wait. I can't wait.


BBC - Doctor Who - News - Whodunnit?

No comments: