the 90s = the 60s done wrong.

So here I am both downloading a documentary on Andy Warhol from the internets and ambiently watching 'Spiceworld: the movie' on uktv Gold which I've actually never seen before. And they've got to a scene where where film writer/manager types are imagining what they could do with them for a film or something - and they tout this 'Spice Force Five' idea. Each Spice girl in a skimpy silver costume impersonating a 60s or 70s or 80s figure... cuing in in turn the theme music and styles from: 'Charlie's Angels', 'the Avengers', 'Wonder Woman', 'Mission Impossible'

and then it suddenly dawned on me - the whole of the 90s was all about trying to draw inspiration from and trying to recreate the energy and vibe of the 60s - and only getting it all terribly, terribly wrong.

The Spiceworld movie is the Spice Girls trying to do their own version of the Beatle's 'Help!'

Then to add support to this theory I remembered 'the Avengers' film with Ulma Thurman and Ralph Fiennes. That was ALL about trying to recreate all what was great about the 60s TV show and then making a total mess of it.

(I'm sure I could think of other examples of this if i were to put my mind to it.)

I guess this is part of what they call 'post-modern'. Blergh.

One of the things I'm finding so unutterably annoying about the Spiceworld movie - is that it's choc full of actors most of whom are vastly more talented than the Spice Girls -and here they are being totally wasted. A text book case of short term celebrity trumping genuine talent. Making it ultimately a rather depressing little document of the times.

No comments: