For ages now I’ve had this idea of cataloguing every recurring plot device used in sci-fi and fantasy films and shows. There are a startlingly small number of ideas that keep being endlessly rehashed over and over again and it would be nice to see how they‘re being used. I haven’t done so because - well, it sounds like a lot of hard work and too much for one person to attempt all on their own.

Now erm, back to what actually started me off writing this. If this description of the preview to episode 10 (Combat) of Torchwood is anything to go by… I’m groaning already. Because this sounds all too like a plot idea I’ve seen used too many times already*. Two just off the top of my head:

1. Star Trek: Voyager. Tsunkatse
Seven gets kidnapped and forced to fight for her life (and a critically ill Tuvok) in a evil fight contest.

2. Angel: The Ring.

Angel gets forced to compete in an illegal fight club made up of kidnapped demons.

The plot goes like this a group of baddies kidnap fierce aggressive aliens/demons/monsters and force them to fight in a ring. Usually to the death. Always for betting.

I’ve already had a little moan about Torchwood nicking a few too many hackneyed clichés… so if this does turn out to be what I think it is -then I am just going to be soooooo disappointed.

[*I've just noticed it's been written by Noel (Mickey) Clarke. Um. I'm not sure about him as a writer. And I'll certainly never forgive him for misusing and misunderstanding the new word 'Kidult' for his ropey film.]

No comments: