42

Oh. So... this week's Doctor Who.

42
Kind of 'Aliens' with Easterender Michelle Collins playing a pound-shop Ripley, a plot of not much consequence with lots of running down corridors* with a pound-shop X-men Cyclops for a villain. Security doors using pub-quiz style questions as passwords -huh? Why? Oh yes – Martha had to ring her Mom for some reason in order for the background sub-plot to work, and that for me was the only good bit of the show were Saxon's sinister hench men were tracing Martha's phone calls to her mom.

But dang. That's now the third episode of Doctor Who this season I haven't cared that much for. Last season it was really only 'Fear Her' which I hated. This time around it's been 'the Shakespeare Code', and 'the Lazarus experiment' (or Quatermass revisited) and this one – well not exactly hated but have felt indifferent to.

Oh while I'm at it - can I confess something – I don't like Martha much. There, I've said it. She irritates me. I know I'm likely probably totally alone on this one – since everyone else seems to adore her and prefer over Rose. But I dunno, for me she's just a shade too cocky, too self-assured, she takes everything in her stride too easily. Also I'm not getting a sense of any emotional depth from her as a character.

Still I have high hopes for the remainder of the series... especially after seeing this on the Jonathan Ross show...

(*but then what would Doctor Who be without running down endless corridors? A wooden blue box, a sonic screwdriver, and running down corridors is what the show is really all about.)

No comments: