Mr Stephen Baldwin

I wasn't really watching it – it was just on in the background on the Sci-fi channel while I was running around doing other things - this dreadfully lame film 'Dark Storm' starring Stephen Baldwin. I found myself casually wondering about this actor and how he had got himself into quite so many rubbishy B movies. I lazily did a bit of Googling. Oh my. What an eye-opener -I never knew he was a rabid Republican, G. W. Bush supporting, born-again, evangelical Christian who spends his time trying to brainwash... sorry, 'reach' young teenage kids through extreme sports (mainly skateboarding), bad Christian Rock and bad Christian rap acts and concerts. Who in his spare time campaigns against any sex shops that might dare to open anywhere near his locale. Bizarre.

All the more so considering the only vaguely half-way decent film I ever remember him being in was 'Threesome' – where he played this heterosexual college student Jock in an odd ménage a trios with a heterosexual girl (Lara Flynn Boyle) and gay man (Josh Charles)... I particularly recall there was a three way sex scene where all of them are in bed together – the gay boys hand accidentally touches the Baldwin bare butt and moves it away – rather touchingly the blond jock takes the hand of the gay one and puts it back again. Alas that's as close as they got to any gay hanky-pankying. Apparently there was a proper boy on boy snog and a scene of proper boy on boy action later on in the film but they never made it into the final cut of the movie. Dang it. And given Stephen's new-found hardcore values I doubt we'll be seeing a special DVD edition with deleted scenes any time soon.

Apparently ever since Stephen Baldwin has been publically denying there's any hint of bisexuality in himself or of ever wanting to indulge in threesomes – being the happily married man and doting father and good God-fearing Christian he undoubtedly is.

Ah well. At least in this little bit of research I got to learn about gay film directors Alan Fleming (interview about 'the Craft') and Kevin ('Scream') Williamson (interview) (how sad am I? I never knew he was gay.)

No comments: